Greener Grass
I thought it would take at least a few days - four, five maybe. Definitely at least two or three.
But, there's truth in them old sayings, you know. "You always want what you haven't got" and "The grass is always greener on the other side" and so on.
Yesterday evening I dropped the rest of the family off at the airport and they duly jetted off on a 2 week holiday to the sun. I, obviously, stayed behind. The reason for my remaining on home turf are as follows: when the holiday was booked it clashed absolutely with the busiest part of probably the most important project I've ever been involved with in my working life - and not only am I involved, I have a key role; so much so that successful implementation of this project could have a significant bearing on my future career - both within and outside my current employer.
So, naturally, I couldn't take 2 weeks away. Except, of course, that over the intervening months the schedule for this project has slipped and slipped and is now some 6 months late. None of the slippage, thankfully, is my fault (or any of the project team, come to that) but that leaves me stuck at home in the cold and wet British Autumn (and believe me, it's damn cold and wet out there) while the rest of the family "endures" 30 degree temperatures.
But that's OK - it means I get 2 weeks to myself right? Sure, I have a list of jobs as long as my arm, but I can do them without interruption which is good and still have plenty of "me" time.
But, greener grass remember? It's less than 24 hours since I walked away from the airport and already I'm bored, fed-up and at a loose end. The house is quiet but still a mess - and I *will* get it sorted. I know I'll get it sorted because if I don't, I'm going to go out of my mind with boredom in the next 13 days.
Of course, it's worth asking me again in 12 days time...
But, there's truth in them old sayings, you know. "You always want what you haven't got" and "The grass is always greener on the other side" and so on.
Yesterday evening I dropped the rest of the family off at the airport and they duly jetted off on a 2 week holiday to the sun. I, obviously, stayed behind. The reason for my remaining on home turf are as follows: when the holiday was booked it clashed absolutely with the busiest part of probably the most important project I've ever been involved with in my working life - and not only am I involved, I have a key role; so much so that successful implementation of this project could have a significant bearing on my future career - both within and outside my current employer.
So, naturally, I couldn't take 2 weeks away. Except, of course, that over the intervening months the schedule for this project has slipped and slipped and is now some 6 months late. None of the slippage, thankfully, is my fault (or any of the project team, come to that) but that leaves me stuck at home in the cold and wet British Autumn (and believe me, it's damn cold and wet out there) while the rest of the family "endures" 30 degree temperatures.
But that's OK - it means I get 2 weeks to myself right? Sure, I have a list of jobs as long as my arm, but I can do them without interruption which is good and still have plenty of "me" time.
But, greener grass remember? It's less than 24 hours since I walked away from the airport and already I'm bored, fed-up and at a loose end. The house is quiet but still a mess - and I *will* get it sorted. I know I'll get it sorted because if I don't, I'm going to go out of my mind with boredom in the next 13 days.
Of course, it's worth asking me again in 12 days time...
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home